Math for Grade 8
Grade 8 Math:
The students will receive instruction in and demonstrate the ability to perform mathematical functions and problem-solving in the areas of multidigit addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimals and fractions,geometry,satistics and logical reasoning.
Textbook: Math 8
Prentice Hall Scott Foresman Addison Wesley Scott Foresman Addison Wesley Middle School Math Course 8Th Grade Volume 1-3 Chapters 1 6 Teacher Edition 2002 Isbn 0130542083
- Student Textbook & homework book
- Problem of the Day
- CD / DVD support
- Practice and Enrichment Worksheets
- Manipulative materials
- Assessment Sourcebook
45 minutes per day, 2 days per week
- Number theory-GCF and LCM word problems and factors..
- Operations with integers and rational numbers.
- Exponents and roots-multiplication,division with exponents.
- Scientific notations-compare,multiply and divide numbers written in scientific notation.
- Consumer math-multi step problems with percents discounts,tax and sale prices.
- Problem solving and estimation-Word problems,Guess and check,and Venn diagrams.
- Expressions and properties,variables and equations,linear functions.
- Geometric measurement-create plots,histograms and frequency charts.
- Statistics –Interpret charts,quartiles and outliers.
- Probability-experimental probability,make predictions,compound events,factorialsand permutations.
- Monomials and polynomials-add,subtract,multiply and divide monomials.
- Data and Modeling
Areas to be evaluated:
- Class participation
- Homework assignments
- Group projects
- Graphing project
- Review games and activities